Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Creamy Wild Rice Soup

I’ve recently decided I want to be the Soup Nazi.

I mean…I want to make multiple soups, and make them all the most amazing, orgasmic, unbelievable soups you’ve ever ladled into a bowl. So far, I have mastered two soups that will have you begging for mercy. The first one I posted awhile back, Chicken and Dumplings. If you haven’t yet, seriously, just make it already!!

Today’s recipe is for Creamy Wild Rice Soup, and the picture doesn’t do much but it is so good. I kid you not. The recipe is originally from Taste of Home with some of my own modifications.

Creamy Wild Rice Soup

8 cups water

1 tsp. salt

1 C. wild rice

1 bunch green onions

1/4 C. shredded carrot

1/2 C. finely chopped pecans

1 1/2 sticks butter, cubed

2/3 C. flour

2 boxes chicken broth (I use the 32 oz. Swanson broth)

1 lb. diced or cubed ham (this is a preference thing, you can get the 1 lb. packaged ham either way, I prefer diced, it’s smaller, hubby prefers cubed)

1/2 tsp. pepper

2 C. half and half cream

In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until tender. (Rice will not absorb all the water, don’t panic! It’s not supposed to!) Remove from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes; drain and set aside. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions, carrot and pecans in butter for 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the ham, pepper and wild rice. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender. Reduce heat. Add cream and heat through (do not boil).

This makes a very large batch. Let cool and refrigerate leftovers to have lunch for a few days, add a bit of water or milk to thin when reheating.

1 comment:

Chilihead2 said...

This sounds delish. I may try it this week!