Friday, August 10, 2007

1950s Felted Bag for Gina

My friend Gina needed a pick-me-up. So, I attempted to make a felted bag, a bit bigger in size than my usual “purse”, more of a carpet bag size. As I was working on it, my MIL remarked that the colors and the buttons I had chosen reminded her of the 50s. I didn’t choose them that way on purpose, I was just very fond of the way it was coming together. My add-in yarn didn’t felt the way I had hoped even after two washings ,but Gina said she didn’t mind.

Pattern:

CO 50, knit 20 using double yarn to make the bottom more solid and sturdy.

When I started working in the round, I only used one yarn. Six rows of brown, six rows of blue, twelve rows of brown, then I used the entire skein of the Austermann novelty yarn with the pink Cascade. I repeated the pattern for the top of the bag and made I-cord handles.

Yarn used: Novelty yarn - Austermann Colada, color 5; Cascade 220 colors 8686, 7815, 9477.

Before felting, it was 18″ wide and 15″ tall.

No comments: