Monday, September 8, 2008

Chicken Parmigiana


Here's the post that proves my reviews aren't total BS. I love writing the reviews over on LRR and generally try to get products I anticipate actually liking or finding useful. My most favorite and useful "product" thus far has been the subscription to Relish! as I have used it faithfully, renewed the subscription with my own money, and recommended it to many friends.

Here's a great recipe I did not too long ago that was super easy and super tasty. Even the boys were willing to try it. And, that Italian parsley is fresh from where I plucked it outside my back door. Jealous?

Chicken Parmigiana

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 C. panko bread crumbs
3/4 C. parmigiano reggiano cheese, freshly grated (or use parmesan if that's what you've got on hand, the real stuff, not the powder stuff in the green can)
2 large eggs
2 T. olive oil
2 C. marinara sauce
1 8-oz. fresh mozzarella ball, sliced
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 C. Italian parsley, chopped, for garnish

1 - Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board in between two sheets of plastic wrap (I actually use wax paper, it holds up better). Using a mallet, pound chicken thin. Season both sides with salt and pepper.

2 - Combine breadcrumbs and cheese in a shallow bowl. Dip the chicken in the beaten egg, the dredge in the breadcrumbs mixture, turning to coat both sides.

3 - Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken in the skillet (you might have to do in batches, or use two skillets) and cook until golden, 3 minutes per side. Spread the marinara sauce onto the bottom of a baking dish. Preheat the broiler.

4 - Transfer the chicken pieces to the baking dish, placing them on top of the sauce. Top each chicken piece with slices of fresh mozzarella. Broil about 4 inches from the heat until the sauce is hot, cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 8 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.

I grabbed a Barilla noodle I had on hand, and made up noodles to serve over because I cannot say no to carbs.

No comments: