Thursday, February 8, 2007

Bring On the Noodles, Barefoot Style

I love me some Food Network. Comprehensively, it is my favorite channel. I’ve got my favs, Paula Deen being numero uno, but right up there too is Barefoot Contessa. Her stuff always turns out and, like Paula, she makes real food that tastes good. The flavors are VERY intense, if you want a lighter, lesser flavor cut down on the soy sauce (you could add more to taste after you put the salad together), sesame oil, and peanut butter. Hubby went crazy for it exactly how it was, but if I just made it for myself I would tone down the intensity.

Barefoot Contessa Crunchy Noodle Salad

Kosher salt

1/2 pound thin spaghetti (I just grabbed a box of Barilla)

1 pound sugar snap peas

1 C. vegetable oil

1/4 C. rice vinegar

1/3 C. soy sauce

1 T. dark sesame oil

1 T. honey

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp grated ginger

2 T. toasted sesame seeds

1/2 C. smooth peanut butter

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground pepper

2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced (I used one big one and diced it when I made it)

4 scallions sliced diagonally

3 T. fresh chopped parsley leaves

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, bring another large pot of salted water to a boil, add the sugar snap peas, return to a boil and cook for 3 minutes until crisp tender. Lift the sugar snap peas from the water with a slotted spoon and immerse them in a bowl of ice water. Drain. For the dressing, whisk together the vegetable oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, peanut butter, salt to taste, and the pepper, in a medium bowl. Combine the spaghetti, sugar snap peas, scallions and peppers in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the spaghetti mixture. Add the parsley and mix again.

No comments: