Thursday, February 1, 2007

Mrs. Wilkes Lemon Squares

I went on my dream foodie trip last summer to Savannah, Georgia and among our many stops was Mrs. Wilkes Boarding house for lunch, where you just might stand in line forever to have a ton of traditional Southern fare, for cheap! This place is featured in the book 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, and with good reason. And, being a total cookbook whore, I picked up Mrs. Wilkes Boardinghouse Cookbook as I paid my bill. Enjoy this recipe, a very intense flavor, cut the pieces small! Enjoy!

Lemon Squares

1 C. butter, softened

1/4 C. powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting

2 C. plus 2 T. flour

3 eggs, beaten

1/4 tsp. salt

1 C. sugar

4 T. lemon juice

1 T. grated lemon rind

1/2 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350°. To make the crust, cream the butter and powdered sugar; add 2 C. of the flour to make a dough. Pat out in a 9 x 9 inch pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Mix the eggs, salt, sugar, lemon juice and rind, remaining 2 T. of flour, and baking powder. Pour over the crust and bake for 20-25 minutes. When cool, dust with powdered sugar. Cut into small squares.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

MMMMM! I am totally making these today! Thanks!

Gretchen said...

MMMMM! I am totally making these today! Thanks!