Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Paula's Crab Cakes

This is part of my resolution to make something new each week or more often if I can. And I am an absolute freak for all things Paula Deen (why else would I go visit her, which you can read about here and here) but I get her magazine and plucked this recipe out of the latest issue. I’ll put the recipe as written, but I doubled it to make sure I had plenty to go around.

Crab Cakes

1 (8 ounce) container jumbo lump crabmeat (I used the lump crab in the envelopes you can find in with the tunafish at the grocery store)

2/3 C. panko (Japanese breadcrumbs, which I didn’t have so I used regular breadcrumbs), divided

2 T. minced red bell pepper

1 T. minced green onion

1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning

2 large eggs, divided

1 T. mayo

1 T. fresh lemon juice

2 T. butter

2 T. olive oil

In medium bowl, combine crabmeat, 1/3 C. breadcrumbs, bell pepper, green onion, and Old Bay seasoning; set aside. In a small bowl, lightly beat 1 egg. Whisk in mayo and lemon juice. Add egg mixture to crab mixture, tossing to combine. Shape mixture into patties. In a small bowl, lightly beat remaining egg. Lightly brush each side of crab cake with egg, and dip in remaining 1/3 C. of breadcrumbs. In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add crab cakes and cook 3 to 4 minutes, per side, or until golden. Serve with creole sauce.

Creole Sauce

1/4 C. sour cream

3 T. mayo

1 T. minced green onion

1 T. fresh lemon juice

2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning

1 tsp. prepared horseradish

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients; cover, and chill.

It was awesome, and not hard to make!

No comments: